Friday, May 30, 2014

May 30th

Let me just start off by saying that today was a BEAUTIFUL day!  The sun was shining and there wasn't a raindrop in sight. 

I was all excited to see how my bait cubes held up against the infamous mice on the Elakala Trail -- they outsmarted me AGAIN!!  They ate the bait right out of the cubes that were hanging from the ceiling of the trap!  Mice 2, Briana 0. 

Since the pesky peromyscus won't leave my traps alone, I will be moving them (all 10 of them) to a new location -- the Shay Trace Trail...it will be interesting moving 10 traps by myself...

Meanwhile on the Yellow Birch Trail the flooding continues!  I wore my rain boots again today specifically for this reason and it made no difference at all.  The water was so high it came up past my boots and I spent the rest of that trail with soggy, squishy feet.  It reminded me a lot of last summer and how we crossed the Rio Grande everyday and everyday (except for when the river was dried up) the water went in our boots.  Except then I didn't mind because it was so hot outside, I actually looked forward to it!

Canaan Loop Road was highly active and I had 8 out of 10 traps triggered with hair!  I also saw a black-capped chickadee and a northern cardinal while there.  I came across a giant slug which I so nicely named Slug-Zilla, and noticed about 4 new pink lady slippers in this one spot on the trail.  I finally re-hung trap 6 (it was knocked down before I started working here) and looked at the first bunch of photos from the trail-cam -- no squirrels, and just one deer.

Water monitoring did not happen yet again...it's starting to make me anxious because I need to get it done but everyone that can help me do it has something come up and we have to reschedule! 

It's officially the weekend and all the traps are closed until Monday!  Sleeping in tomorrow, there is just something about not having to set your alarm that is very liberating!  :)

 I caught a homo sapiens in the wild on my trail camera -- very exciting stuff here!
 DEER!
 You win again mice...
 The water was really flowing today!
 SLUG-ZILLA!!!  AAHHHHH!! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!
 Very pretty pink lady's slipper -- it's in the orchid family!
I caught a whisker today!

No comments:

Post a Comment