Wednesday, August 13, 2014

August 11th -- Office Day

Well, due to inclement weather I was unable to go out into the field today!  Because of that, today was not very exciting.  I prepared for my replacement that we hired, Carrie, and worked on a variety of other office-related tasks.

We had crazy storms all day long, I really enjoy stormy weather something about storms are relaxing to me.  On my way home from the office there were branches down all over the road!

Anyway, since I wasn't out in the field I didn't, once again, take any pictures today.  I decided to share with you all some photos that were taken last semester in my Wildlife Techniques class by my Professor.  I hope you all enjoy them!

 My friend and fellow classmate Eli and I in the field in -20 degree weather!
 We were placing a track plate box -- animals go in, walk on a board covered in soot and get their paws dirty, then they walk over a piece of white contact paper and leave a print for us to collect!  :)
 We were burying it in snow to help make it blend in to the environment a little more
 I'm opening a scent capsule placed inside the box to help draw in animals
 SUNY Cobleskill wildlife technician Mark Kiburz showing me how to remove a bird from a mist net.  Mist nets are used to help in catching birds so we can measure them and place bands on their legs
 Me tracking a radio-collared rabbit on campus.  The collar emits a radio frequency that can be picked up with the antenna I'm holding and in the headphones you hear beeping, the louder the beep is the direction the rabbit is in.
 Getting some kayaking experience...yes, we did this in class :)
 Surveying for aquatic invertebrates.  We used the dip nets to scoop up water and emptied them into the tray to see what kind of invertebrates we captured!

No comments:

Post a Comment