Wednesday, August 20, 2014

August 19th -- Goodbye Pendleton Lake!

Today Judy, Carrie and I went out to the Pendleton Lake site in the State Park, to remove those snares to move to a new location.  We decided to pull them because they have been there for roughly a month and haven't produced any results.

Judy and I have been scoping out areas the last week to place the snares at and came to an agreement that Cherry Lane Trail, another site in the State Park, would be a great place to try.  I really like it because it is mainly comprised of beech trees and beech nuts are coming in right now, which are said to be a portion of flying squirrels diet.  It would be really great if we could get some flying squirrel hairs in this new area to back up this claim.

After placing the snares at Cherry Lane Trail, we decided to add 5 more hair snares onto Yellow Birch to try to collect the last few hair samples Dr. Flaherty is looking for -- we are trying to collect 20 flying squirrel hair samples from each site we have, and I believe we were at 17.  While walking out the trail I saw some bear tracks in the mud, a nice little patch of cotton grass and some beautiful butterflies!

I can't believe tomorrow is my last day!  I sure will miss the Friends of Blackwater!  It has been an amazing summer, and I've learned so much!  I'm sad to leave and will miss everybody, but at the same time I'm ready to go home and get back to school!  Does that make me a nerd??  :)

A mushroom spore print I made
 A beautiful butterfly, unknown species

 Carrie and Judy at the Blackwater Falls State Park lodge






Black bear track!

Interesting mushroom Judy found
 A sea of cotton grass!!

No comments:

Post a Comment