Wednesday, August 13, 2014

August 12th -- Mushroom Day

Today Judy came to go out in the field with me and get everything in order for my replacement.  We went to the Canaan Loop Road sites, the Big Rock and Flag Run, and were even able to beat the rain!  At the Big Rock we had 6 out of the 10 hair snares that were productive, YIPPEE, but at Flag Run we didn't have any productive hair snares.  I was playing around with the camera with have at Flag Run because it hasn't been taking pictures, even after I put new batteries in it...I ended up having to bring it into the office because there I couldn't fix it in the field -- hopefully it's an easy fix, especially since we are borrowing these cameras!

While out and about at Flag Run, we noticed these coral-like mushrooms that have popped up all over the place.  I pulled out the handy-dandy mushroom guide we have, "Mushrooms of West Virginia and the Central Appalachians" by William C. Roody, and discovered they are called crested coral (Clavulina cristata) and they are edible...I think I'll leave the edible part up to the experts.  Wild mushrooms freak me out just because there are some that are deadly poisonous so I'd rather not chance it!  Anyway, for any serious mushroomers our there, I highly recommend this book just because it is so detailed and has great pictures in it!

 Fall is on the way!  A lot of the maples are already changing!
 Crested coral mushroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment