Monday, August 11, 2014

August 8th - Frantic Day

Well, today was just CHAOTIC!  I had to plan this canoe trip for some contest winners on very short notice while doing my normal field work...

Thankfully, I found a canoe and someone to help with the canoe so the winners could enjoy a nice canoe ride down the Blackwater River.  Originally they were supposed to go on the 9th but then decided they wanted to go on the 10th so that gave me a little more time to prepare...

Craziness aside, Lon and I went to the Canaan Loop Road sites.  I discovered yesterday that the squirrels really like peanuts and the snares weren't disturbed by bears, so I was hoping for the same results today.  Sure enough we had 7 out of 10 at our Big Rock site that had been successfully triggered with viable hair samples -- 6 of which I could confidently say were flying squirrel hair!  Flag Run was a different story...all of the snares were still open but all the bait was gone -- MICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I tell you, if it's not bears, it's mice...if it's not mice, it's bears!

The next intern will be lucky because the black bear activity will really die down late October into November as they go into their winter sleep and the mice activity should hopefully die down as well so it should, hopefully, be smooth sailing for them!

Sadly I didn't take any pictures today so I thought I'd share some photos with you all from my internship last summer.  I was an avian field technician for a Grad student from Louisiana State University and our work was along the middle rio grande in New Mexico.  We were based out of the Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge.

Cottonwood trees are pollinating as they release this "fluff"
 Spiny softshell turtle
 Volunteering to band cave swallows at Carlsbad Caverns in NM
 Shooting a bearing -- we are standing in the Rio Grande by the way...it was dried up!
 I believe this is an ornate box turtle
 Crossing the Rio Grande when there was still water in it
 Found this scorpion in my room in the bunkhouse I was staying in!
 There was a coopers hawk nest behind the bunkhouse...there are 3 juveniles in this picture!
 Western diamond back up in a salt cedar tree!
 Greater roadrunner - "MEEP MEEP!"
Raccoon tracks on the banks of the Rio Grande!

No comments:

Post a Comment