Monday, July 21, 2014

July 18th -- River Day

Lon has become my trail buddy and came with me again today to help with the snare sets.  Today we went back to our Blackwater Falls State Park sites which are Yellow Birch, Pendleton Lake, and Blackwater River Road Trail.

We started with Pendleton Lake and only had one productive hair snare.  At one of the snares I found a pile of tiny bones, they are probably from a mouse or something alone those lines, none the less they were neat to see.  Also at another snare I noticed a freshly dug burrow that went into a squirrel midden under the snare tree and came out the other side.  I put my flashlight in it in hopes of finding the culprit, but I did not see anything.  We also ate some wild blueberries on the trail...boy were they YUMMY!

We then headed to the Blackwater River Road Trail.  We finally had a lot of productive snares at this site so I was pretty excited!  When we got to snare #4 I headed out to the river for a look around (this site runs right along the Blackwater River), and boy was it beautiful!  We decided to take a short break and sit in the sunshine on the rocks.

Last but certainly not least was Yellow Birch, one of the original snare sites when I first started.  Today the site wasn't all that productive and we didn't really see or find anything too exciting.  By that point in time though we were ready for the day to be over so we headed back to the truck and back into the office.

 Pile of tiny bones
 One of the burrow entrances
 Blackwater River


No comments:

Post a Comment