Friday, July 25, 2014

July 25th -- Now Hiring!

Well, as the summer quickly comes to an end, so does my internship!  I only have a month here in West Virginia with the Friends of Blackwater!  It's always sad when the end date starts getting closer and closer, but I must go back to school (SUNY Cobleskill) and finish my degree.

The good news from this situation is that my job is up for grabs for a worthy candidate!  If you follow this link it will take you to our official job announcement.  Feel free to submit your resumes if you meet the qualifications.  The posting has only been up for 2 days and we've already received tons of applicants!
http://wfscjobs.tamu.edu/jobs/flying-squirrel-technician-needed-asap-west-virginia/

Today Lon and I checked the Canaan Loop Sites and at the Big Rock site there were 3 hair snares knocked down by bears...of course...and we got more photographic evidence...we only had one productive snare here today which is extremely odd!  We also moved the trail camera to a tree that is closer to the hair snare so we will hopefully be able to catch squirrels on the camera easier.  There have been times when the snare has been triggered but then there are no pictures.  I think it was because the camera was too far away for it to pick up a small squirrel...

At Flag Run I was very pleased to find out it is becoming more and more productive.  Today we had 3 out of 10 snares that had been triggered and had hair.  I know that doesn't seem like a lot, but it is.  I also pulled the SD card from the trail camera and discovered that one of the batteries came loose when I moved the camera last time so there were no new pictures!  Thankfully that snare wasn't triggered so I didn't miss out on capturing a flying squirrel picture.  On our way back to the truck I looked under a rock and found another Allegheny Mountain Dusky Salamander!  Lon was excited because I've been trying, this whole time he's been helping me, to find a salamander to show him and I haven't had any luck, and finally today we found one!











No comments:

Post a Comment