Wednesday, July 2, 2014

July 2nd -- Mission Impossible Day 2!

Well, at first I decided to wait to check the snares because our new flying squirrel bait and lure was supposed to come in the mail today.  After checking the tracking, I found out it will not be in until Saturday!  I was so disappointed, but pressed on with my daily routine. 

I started off with Yellow Birch as usual, but I was hurrying along because it looked like a storm was on its way!  I noticed when I was walking down Yellow Birch that the rhododendron is finally blooming!  I've been waiting 2 months for that to happen because I have never seen them in bloom!  As soon as I finished checking the last snare it started down pouring and there was lightning and thunder, and the whole nine yards!  I decided to hunker down under a tree to try to stay as dry as possible since I didn't have any of my rain gear.  The tree I was waiting under had saw dust all under it, but I couldn't find any evidence of what may have caused it! 

After about 5 minutes the rain let up so I decided to make the hike back to my vehicle.  Well, about halfway it decided to start down pouring yet again, but I pressed on to my van getting soaked to the bone on the way! 

I headed back to the office and ate lunch and worked on a few other projects while I waited for the weather to clear up.  After about an hour things were looking good -- the rain stopped, the sun was out, the wind calmed down...and I decided to head back out to our newest site. 

I parked my van, went in to snare 1 and sure enough it started down pouring AGAIN, I couldn't believe it!  I went back to my van and decided to drive to the end of the site and wait it out...by the time I got there it had stopped raining so I gathered all my stuff and went to go check number 10.  Before I went into the woods I decided to go down to the river which is only about 40m away from where I would go into the woods.  I took a few pictures and guess what happened...just guess...YOU GOT IT!  It started POURING again!!!!  After sitting in my van for another 15 minutes I decided to just head back to the office and admit that I had been defeated by the storm. 

I called Lon because he needed some help with a water flow project he is working on and we did that for about an hour and then I went back to the office to finish some other projects and then I called it a day -- and what a day it was!!
 Rhododendron bloom!
 It's so pretty!
 All the saw dust I saw under my safe tree!
 It was everywhere!
 The river!  So beautiful

 It just barely started to rain in this picture
 And 30 seconds after that last picture I was completely soaked...AGAIN!
My scientific collecting permit finally came!

No comments:

Post a Comment