Tuesday, June 17, 2014

June 17th -- Scary Bear Day!

So today I decided to change things up a bit and do the Red Run site (the scary bear site) first to get it out of the way.  I decided to try to find another point of entry since this one isn't on a trail, and there is so much rhododendron.  Well, I was starting with # 10 and I didn't get to #10, instead I found myself standing next to #1...I thought to myself 'huh, I cut too far to the right' and decided to just go ahead and do the snares that way instead.  There was nothing exciting about #1 and headed to #2 where I started to hear some loud rustling of bushes and leaves.  I then started hearing a sound that could only be one thing...a black bear, breathing heavy and grunting at me!  I did not see the bear, and I'm thankful for that because I probably would of peed my pants, and having no weapon other than my pocket knife I would of been left with just trying to spook it off, which, having experience last summer with a bear, did not work.  I decided to SLOWLY make my way back out towards the road which was thankfully only ~150m away -- it was important not to run because 1) you don't want to give the bear anything to chase and 2) I would of tripped because the vegetation is so dense, and possibly broke my leg or something and then I would definitely have been up shit creek! 

I made it back to my van with my adrenaline pumping and did the Canaan Loop site -- nothing too eventful happened there. Just got a few pictures and only had 2 snares with any hair. 

Yellow Birch had a trap down!  The first sign of bears in that area...these bears are going to be the death of my optimism for the rest of the summer!!

 Messy, messy squirrels!
 A snail inside a mushroom!  He gets a 1-UP for sure!!
 A momma white-tailed deer and her fawn hiding in the trees
Some cool bones I found

No comments:

Post a Comment