Friday, June 27, 2014

June 27th -- Blackwater River Road Trail Day!

Today Judy and I picked a location to put 10 more hair snares!  We decided on an area in Blackwater Falls State Park that we had scoped out on Wednesday.  We also bought some special bait that is supposed to target flying squirrels specifically -- it should come in by next Wednesday!  I'm really excited about that and cannot wait to try it out!! 

Before we placed the new hair snares I did my normal routine of checking snares that are already out.  I wore my cowbell today at the Canaan Loop Road site since we got pictures of bears on the trail camera.  I knew before we got the pictures that there were bears in the area from things like scat, and knocked down traps, but the images just make it more real.  I don't mind working in bear country, it has just heightened my bear awareness -- plus I finally have a can of bear mace -- WOO HOO!  It's supposed to spray 30ft and it creates a cloud of mace between you and the bear, hopefully, giving you enough time to scamper away!  Hopefully I never have to see if it works, but it's nice to know I have it just incase.  Noise is my first defense, hence the cowbell, but I also sing and clap my hands while I'm out there hiking.  People who are not bear aware probably think I'm crazy when they see and/or hear me, but that's ok! 

On Yellow Birch I got two perfect hair samples of red squirrel and flying squirrel!  I was so excited because Judy and I were talking about taking pictures of the hair for future interns to reference to...alas, my camera won't take a good picture of them :(  -- any suggestions on how to use a point and shoot camera to take pictures of small hair strands would be appreciated!  :)

 Saw this fat snake on the Davis Trail...thinking it's some variant of garter snake...


 Red squirrel hair
The beautiful stamps Judy bought me!  They are so pretty it will be a shame to use them!

No comments:

Post a Comment