Monday, June 23, 2014

June 20th -- Scoping Sites Day!

Today started off like any other day -- checking snares, pulling hair then lunch.  After lunch I decided to head out to the Monongahela Forest to scope out some areas to possibly place some more snares.  We are trying to get a total of 100 active snares out, right now we have 40...well probably more like 43 because I have some in the office from the bears knocking them down :/

I drove down Canaan Loop Road which goes through the forest and when I first turned on the road I saw something run across and into the woods.  I pulled up slowly and saw that it was a black bear!  Sadly, I couldn't get to my camera fast enough to get a picture before it scampered deeper into the woods.

I checked out a number of possible snare sites including a gas line (this would be good because I could walk up the line and cut into the forest every 50m...makes for easy access), an area called pointy knob, plantation trail, and a I stopped at a couple of camp sites and hiked in a little ways. 

Judy came into the office around 1700 and then she took me out to Blackwater Falls State Park so we could investigate the Dobbin House trail -- it's a nice trail and we think we found a good area to place some snares up in there.  While we were there, this trail is on the border between State Park land and National Forest land. It was kind of cool to have one foot on State Park and one foot on National Forest...I guess I'm a dork like that.  We also found a tree on the corner of the National Forest land that had a plaque on it that designated it as a bearing tree.  A bearing tree is used to help land surveyors identify the edge or border of property -- so I thought that was pretty nifty to see!

I also checked on my dark-eyed junco nest...still 3 unhatched eggs!
 the gas line
 pointy knob
 another part of pointy knob
 random woods behind a camp site I found
 cool bark!  I'm not sure of the tree species
 a pretty meadow I cam across!
 the name of this lake has escaped me!!! 
Bearing tree!

No comments:

Post a Comment