Monday, June 23, 2014

June 19th -- "normal day"

Well, today was pretty normal -- well as normal as working in the wildlife field can be.  I had to push back pulling the snares from Red Run because the weather was not on our side.  All day there were thunderstorms, and man were they FIERCE!  Between storms I checked the snares but I didn't bait shay trace since there was heavy bear activity in that area.  So I just checked Yellow Birch and Canaan Loop Road.

We had a conference call today with Judy Rodd, Dr. Winston Smith, Dr. Elizabeth Flaherty and myself.  We were just talking about the bear issue and came to the conclusion that no matter what we do bears are going to mess with the snares...kind of discouraging, but we will keep moving forward...we won't let the bears bring us down! 

I checked on my dark-eyed junco nest today and the female was sitting on the nest and I was able to get a picture!  She flew off for a minute and I was able to see that there are still 3 eggs...they should be hatching in less than 2 weeks!  I'm so excited!! 

I didn't get very many pictures today, so I apologize for that...

 Female dark-eyed junco on the nest
 Mountain laurel

No comments:

Post a Comment